Write Your PICO(T)
- Pico Question Worksheet will help you define your question
- Locate MESH terms for your PICO in: MESH DATABASE
- This video will take you through searching with an example PICO question.
Interventions and Comparisons
While you can use control for your comparison (in some cases), reading about medical conditions and current treatments will create a stronger PICO.
- Medline Plus Encyclopedia (medical conditions, medical tests, drugs)
- Health & Medical Collection (ProQuest)
- eBook Academic Collection (medical conditions)
- Ebook Central (medical conditions)
Target your Evidence
This table recommends the best evidence for your question focus.
Need a specific level of evidence? Use this table instead.
Different Types of Studies
- This video summarizes each research study type and how to identify what type of study an article describes.
- Study Design 101 Tutorial outlines the pros and cons of each study type.
Where to Search
Original Research Studies
- CINAHL Complete (Publication type filter)
- MEDLINE Complete (Publication type filter)
- PubMed (Publication type Filter)
- Health & Medical Collection (Publication type filter)
EBP Guidelines summarize current diagnosis & treatment recommendations, identify the best research studies, and list gaps in the current research.
- The Cochrane Library (Choose Cochrane Reviews)
- DynaMed Plus
- Pubmed Clinical Queries (Also: MEDLINE Complete Advanced Search)
- CINAHL Complete (Evidence-Based Care Sheets from the top menu)
- National Guideline Clearinghouse (Web, Evidence-Based Reports)
- PEDro (Physiotherapy Only; not full text)
Evidence-Based Practice Journals