🏫Data by Subject
Find relevant data sources listed on some subject guides
📊General Data & Statistics
- Michigan Census Reporter Profile: data visualizer from UW-Extension
- Google Public Data Directory List of open access data sources on the web
- Google Dataset Search Search for free datasets online
- Open Access Directory Data Repositories List (Simmons College) Covers many subject areas
- Data.gov US government portal for agricultural, economic, environmental, health, education, science, and government data.
💡What is Data?
Data and statistics are primary sources used as evidence, background information, or context for a topic.
Questions to ask yourself before searching for data sets or statistics:
- What data do I need to answer my research question?
- What are my variables?
- what is my time frame and geographic area?
🌟Search Strategies for Data
- These guides provide additional data sources and tips for searching.
- Davenport University Public Data Guide
- UCLA Social Statistics and Data Guide
- U of Wash Evaluating Data and Statistics Guide
- NDSU Finding Data and Statistics Guide
- Carleton College Data Search Strategies Guide
- UMich Finding Data Guide
Once you find a data set online, you will have to evaluate the quality of the research used to create it.
- data: quantitative (numerical) and/or qualitative (text, images, sound, etc.) information collected during research.
- statistics: data that have been analyzed, summarized, interpreted, and/or evaluated.
- Data analysis: statistical, mathematical, or other procedures to answer research questions.
- data visualization: Presenting data or statistics in a visual format.
- unit of analysis: who or what is being described in the data