FAQ: Can I stream a video in class from my personal Netflix account?
If you have a personal subscription to Netflix, you may be able to stream educational content in class. This must be done synchronously, either in an in-class session or synchronous Zoom sessions. Do not record the session for future use.
Free Creative Commons Images & GIFs
TV Shows and Video Clips in Databases
- Frontline (PBS) some episodes from 2008-2018 are available through Gale
- Nova (PBS) episodes from 2005-2017 are available through Gale Academic One File
- Independent Lens (PBS) some episodes from 2007-2018 are available through Gale
- 60 Minutes (CBS) some episodes from 1993-2015 are available through ProQuest Central
- New York Times Videos (2018-present) covers up-to-date popular news and culture and is available through ProQuest
- Harvard Business School Faculty Seminar Series (2002-2010), 57 video lectures on a variety of business topics, is available through Business Source Complete. Instructions: On the top blue menu bar click More, then select Images/Business Video.
- INTELECOM Video Collections (2002-2006) are short instructional videos created specifically for high school and college courses.
Streaming Video & Audio Sources Online
- Academic Earth
- Academic Film Archive of North America
Academic films made between 1900-1985 about art, history, science, literature, and social science.
Duke University Digital Collection of 1000s of television commercials made between the 1950s to 1980s by D’Arcy Masius Benton & Bowles (DMB&B) advertising agency.
- American Rhetoric
Streaming videos from the Annenberg educational collection covering a range of topics such as art, history, math, science, government, and literature.
- Archaeology Channel
Streaming media website from the Archaeological Legacy Institute (ALI)
- BBC Online Archive
- British Council Film Collection
120 short documentary films made by the British Council during the 1940s designed to “show the world how Britain lived, worked and played” -website
- CSPAN Digital Library
Federal Government sessions, speeches, and events dating back to 1987
- Digital Public Library of America
History and social sciences videos from libraries and museums. Choose “moving image” resource type in results.
Videos and case studies about business and professional ethics from the McCombs School of Business at UT-Austin.
Called a “national preserve of hard-to-find documentary films about American folk or roots cultures”
Fortunoff Video Archive for Holocaust Testimonies
Yale University’s collection of video interviews with witnesses and survivors of the Holocaust and the related aspects of World War II.
Harvard Business Review Videos
YouTube channel for Harvard Business Review.
Collection of video including news broadcasts, television programs, television commercials, films, cartoons & animation, concerts, and short films.
Free instructional videos on math, science, computer science, economics, and test preparation.
- Living Room Candidate
US television commercials from Presidential Campaigns from 1952–2016.
NARIC Multimedia Collection
Videos related to rehabilitation and disability created by the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR).
- National Film Board of Canada
Archive of short- and feature-length Canadian films from 1939-present.
- Oyez Project
Multimedia archive of audio and video from the US Supreme Court starting in 1955.
- PBS Learning Media
K-12 videos on a variety of subjects.
- Radio Days
A searchable database of audio clips from radio shows (1940s-1960s) including the genres drama, comedy, mystery, and news.
- Sloan Science & Film
Short narrative films on science and technology funded by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
- Smithsonian Open Access
Images, 3D images, sound recordings, data sets, and illustrated books from Smithsonian institutions and the National Zoo.
- Sociological Cinema
Collection of videos organized by sociological themes and theory for educators and students.
- TedEd Lessons Worth Sharing
Create lessons talks, and quizzes from YouTube videos or Ted Talks.
- Ted Talks
18-minute max presentations about a wide variety of topics by experts
Repository of avant-garde film, visual arts, creative writing, and poetry
WGBH Boston (Public Television)
Videos and transcripts of WGBH programming for Public Television (1960s-1990s). Excellent coverage of politics, the Vietnam War, and the Civil Rights movement.