Welcome to the Nursing Subject Guide.
Audience: CUAA undergraduate and graduate students in nursing,
Help Available: Contact your librarian with Ask a Librarian, call 734-995-7454, or stop by the reference desk on-campus.
How to Use: Click a tab on the left to learn more
Evidence Based Research
Nursing and Allied Health research journals, books, conference proceedings and evidence-based care sheets.
The Cochrane Library
Contains three databases: Database of Systematic Reviews,
Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials, and Cochrane Clinical Answers, which contains a clinical question and a short answer of evidence.
A clinical reference tool that provides fast, easy access to the latest filtered evidence-based information. Clinically-organized summaries for thousands of topics
Pubmed companion of biomedical and health journals. Topics: biomedicine, pre-clinical sciences, behavioral sciences, bioengineering, health policy development, nursing, and life sciences. Content Includes: full-text journals, and MeSH (Medical Subject Headings) for current biomedical journals.
FREE access to over 11 million MEDLINE® citations. Mid-1960’s-present.
Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection
Mental Health Medicine
Nursing & Allied Health Database
Reliable healthcare information covering nursing, allied health, alternative and complementary medicine, and much more. Full-text titles plus dissertations in nursing and related fields. Training videos from Medcom, Inc on health care safety, emergency planning, checking vital signs and many more. Multicultural reports from CultureVision are available for 30 ethnicities and 11 religions for the diagnosis and treatment of patients.
Required to find research with a nurse as an author or primary investigator?
Common nursing research topics:
- Education: Nurse training, staffing or education
- Behavior: Nurse attitudes, relationships & communication on the job,
- Patients: Patient safety, patient education, health promotion, patient attitudes & satisfaction
- Health: nurse self-care, stress, health & mental health, quality of life, work life balance, burn out
- Different Healthcare settings: primary care, hospital, ICU, corrections/prison, home healthcare, Urgent care/Clinic, telehealth
Not usually nursing research:
- drug treatments or therapy
- surgical treatment
CINAHL Complete has filters for:
First Author is Nurse
Any Author is Nurse
Add the keyword nurs* to any database search
Search for books and ebooks in Primo.
For General instructions: Finding Books Guide
Library of Congress Call Numbers
RT 84.5 Nursing theory
RT 90 Nursing Education
|NANDA Nursing diagnoses : definitions and classifications||REF RT 48.6 N36 2018|
|Nursing2018 Drug Handbook||REF RM 125 .N87 2018|
|Merck Manual Professional Edition||Website|
|Human Anatomy Online||Website|
|NLM’s MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia||Website|
Use these search techniques to locate Primary Research Articles inside databases.
- Add the following row of keywords to your search: (methods AND results) OR methodology OR “case study” OR “this study” OR “a study”. You will want to copy and paste this entire row of keywords into its own search box (see first example below).
Important! From your list of results, you will still need to examine each article to see if it is primary research.
2. In Ebscohost databases, you can choose
“Research” under Publication Type.
4. If you get a lot of results, consider limiting by Special interest or Field as well:
Options include: Advanced Nursing Practice & Nursing Administration, or specialties like Hospice Care, Critical Care (ICU), Emergency, Pediatric Care, or Women’s Health, for example.
- American Organization of Critical Care Nurses (AACN)
- American Organization of Nurse Executives
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- American Nurses Association (ANA)
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association (APNA)
- Association of Perioperative Registered Nurses (AORN)
- Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN)
- National League for Nursing (NLN)
- National Student Nurses’ Association (NSNA)
- Oncology Nursing Society (ONS)
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
- Michigan Nurses Association (WNA)
- Michigan Student Nurses’ Association
- HealthData.gov: US health and medicine data
- National Center for Health Statistics- Fast Stats Alphabetical list of stats on public health issues
- National Center for Health Statistics- Health annual report Datafinder tool and free infographics
- The Broad Institute: Cancer related data sets
- State Health Facts (Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation)
- World Health Organization Data Repository: Health-related statistics from over 100 countries
- NIH Free Online Course: Finding and using health statistics
- Quality and Safety Education for Nurses
- Nursing on the Net
- Lippincott’s Nursing Center
Overview of Medical conditions and treatments
- MedlinePlus Encyclopedia
Covers the basics of medical conditions, medications, and medical tests
- NLM Multicultural Health Information Resources
Resources on health information, health education, and cultural competency on minority patient populations.
Research Search Tools
Working on a literature review? Try one of these tools for more research articles and grey literature
Past, current, and upcoming clinical trials.
- NARIC (National Rehabilitation Information Center) DATABASE. 69,000 abstracts of books, reports, articles, and audiovisual materials relating to disability and rehabilitation research. 1956 -present.
- Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects (DARE)
Evidence-based systematic reviews & economic assessments. 1994-March 2015.
Evidence-Based Healthcare Search Tool to aid professionals
- HSRProj (Health Services Research Projects in Progress) (NIH)
Search tool for current health services research and public health projects in the US
Clinical search tool for rapidly identifying the highest quality clinical evidence for clinical practice. Registered users (registration is free) benefit from extra features such as CPD, search history, and collaborative tools.