Welcome to the Social Sciences Subject Guide.
Audience: CUAA undergraduate students in Communications, History, Sociology, & Geography.
Help Available: Contact your librarian with Ask a Librarian, call 734-995-7454, or stop by the reference desk on-campus.
How to Use: Click a tab to learn more
Academic Search Complete (Ebsco)
Comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database
Coverage of over 160 subject areas, including business and economics, health and medical, news and world affairs, science, education, and more.
Opposing Viewpoints in Context (Gale)
Covering today’s hottest social issues. Includes pro/con viewpoint essays, topic overviews, primary source documents, biographies of social activists and reformers, court-case overviews, periodical articles, statistical tables, charts and graphs, images, and podcasts.
Social Science Database (ProQuest)
Disciplines represented range from anthropology, sociology, political science to communication, education, criminology, demography, economics and more.
SocINDEX with Full Text (Ebsco)
Comprehensive sociology research database
Sociology Database (ProQuest)
Coverage of the international literature of sociology and social work, including culture and social structure, history and theory of sociology, social psychology, substance abuse and addiction, and more.
Journals published in other parts of the world about business, culture, and education.
- Continental Europe Database (ProQuest)
- East & South Asia Database (ProQuest)
- East Europe, Central Europe Database (ProQuest)
- Latin America & Iberia Database (ProQuest)
- Middle East & Africa Database (ProQuest)
Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection (Ebsco)
Journals on psychology, behavioral sciences and related disciplines
Psychology Database (ProQuest)
Coverage ranges from behavioral, clinical, cognitive, developmental, experimental, industrial and social psychology, along with personality, psychobiology and psychometrics.
Political Science Database (ProQuest)
Access to leading political science and international relations journals plus recent, full-text political science dissertations from U.S. and Canadian universities as well as country reports and policy papers.
Legal research: cases; statutes and court rules; regulations; administrative decisions and guidance; trial court orders; secondary sources; forms; briefs; pleadings, motions, and memorandum; expert materials; jury verdicts and settlements; proposed and enacted legislation; and proposed and adopted regulations.
Multimedia/Primary Sources Online
- John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum Digital Collection
- Making of America (History)
Chronicling America (History)
- Library of Congress Digital Collections
- Civil Rights Digital Library
- National Security Archive
- HathiTrust Digital Library
- Fold3 (military records)
Popular Newspapers For Research
- Chicago Tribune -investigative & public service focus
- Los Angeles Times
- New York Times -news, issues, and social change
- Washington Post -international politics, security, and US Government
- Wall Street Journal -global & national business news
Always check to the political bias of a media source at All Sides Website
Search for books and ebooks in Primo.
For General instructions: Finding Books
Library of Congress Call Numbers
D World History
E &F History of the Americas
G Geography & Anthropology
HM-HV Sociology & Society
J Political Science
|Social Science Encyclopedia||REF H41 .S63 2004|
|Encyclopedia of New Media||REF QA76 .575 .E536 2003|
|International Encyclopedia of Social Sciences||REF H40 .A2 I5|
- Pew Research Center
- Gallop News (Public Opinion)
- United Nations Digital Library
- World Factbook
- Milwaukee Neighborhoods Guide (UWM)
- American National Election Studies (ANES)
High quality data from its own surveys on voting, public opinion, and political participation
Always use neutral and bias-rating sources below to verify information that sounds too good, bad, or strange to be true, especially when it comes to political or social opinions.
- UGA Fact Checking the News Guide
- Fact Checking Websites
- List of Fake News Sources (Don’t use these websites)
Web News Sources Organized by Social/Political Bias
Learn about groups of people and their characteristics
- Gapminder international economic, medical and social statistics
- UNICEF: international data about children and women
- International Database: demographic information for 228 countries with 5,000 or more people from UDS.
- Explore Census Data United States Community Information based on the US Census (2010)
- Open Data Network U.S. Data organized by state and metro area.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States: historical census data 1889-2010