SocINDEX with Full Text (Ebsco)
Comprehensive sociology research database.
Sociology Database (ProQuest)
Coverage of the international literature of sociology and social work, including culture and social structure, history and theory of sociology, social psychology, substance abuse and addiction, and more.
Social Science Database (ProQuest)
Anthropology, sociology, political science to communication, education, criminology, demography, economics and more.
Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection (Ebsco)
Broad range in psychology, behavioral sciences, anthropology, emotional and behavioral characteristics, mental processes, observational and experimental methods, psychiatry and psychology, child and adolescent psychology, and counseling
Psychology Database (ProQuest)
Behavioral, clinical, cognitive, developmental, experimental, industrial and social psychology, along with personality, psychobiology and psychometrics.
Public Health Database (ProQuest)
Finding Journal Articles By Journal Title in Primo
- Open E-Journals Search
- Search for the Journal’s Title.
- Click on the Journal’s title in the search results.
- Search inside the journal for keywords on the journal page.
Search for books and ebooks in Primo.
For General instructions: Finding Books Guide
Library of Congress Call Numbers
HV Social Services
|Encyclopedia Of Social Work||REF HV 35 .S6|
|Social Work Student’s Research Handbook||eBook|
|Social Workers Desk Reference||REF HV 40 .S6464 2015|
- National Association of Social Workers
largest professional organization of social workers in the US
- North American Association of Christians in Social Work
a non-profit Christian social work professional organization
- School Social Work Association of America
Largest professional organization for school social work in the US
- Michigan School Social Work Requirements
Information about School Social work license requirements and best practices in Michigan
American Board of Examiners in Clinical Social Work
Information on certification and national practice standards
- Encyclopedia of Social Work
The Wikipedia of Social Work maintained by SW faculty
- Information for Practice: News & New Scholarship From Around the World
News website developed by a Professor of Social Work, Dr. Holden. Includes links to new published scholarship, daily news, and “grey literature” (for example, government documents, unpublished reports, clinical practice treatment protocols, etc.).
Social Work Education
- Children’s Bureau
National data on adoption, foster care, and child abuse and neglect
- Kid Count Data Center
State level comparative data on child well-being presented in an interactive report-generating format
The Federal Inter-agency Forum on Aging-Related Statistics
- Social Security Administration: Research, Statistics & Policy Analysis
A combined portal from three Social Security Administration offices
- Disability Data Resources
Web portal for U.S. disability statistics, from the U.S. Department of Labor
- Gapminder international economic, medical and social statistics
- UNICEF: international data about children and women
- International Database: demographic information for 228 countries with 5,000 or more people from UDS.
- Explore Census Data United States Community Information based on the US Census
- Open Data Network U.S. Data organized by state and metro area.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States: historical census data 1889-2010
Research Nonprofits Online
- Urban Institute
Nonprofit research organization that supports research that informs public policy affecting community well being in the United States
- Congressional Research Service Reports
The Congressional Research Service (CRS) serves as shared staff to congressional committees and Members of Congress. CRS experts assist at every stage of the legislative process.
- Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
A nonpartisan research and policy institute that support federal and state policies designed to reduce poverty and inequality
- Institute for Research On Poverty (UW-Madison)
University research institute focused on IRP researches the causes and consequences of poverty and inequality in the United States.
- Institute for Policy Research (Northwestern U)
Interdisciplinary research on social, family, policy, and health issues.
- Congressional Research Institute for Social Work and Policy (CRISP)
An independent, nonpartisan 501(c)4 organization which supports the Congressional Social Work Caucus in the US House of Representatives
Brookings conducts research and education in the social sciences, primarily in economics, metropolitan policy, governance, foreign policy, and global economy and development.
Center for the Study of Social Policy
The Center’s work is concentrated in the areas of family and children’s services; income supports, neighborhood-based services, education reform, family support, disability and health care policy, and long term care for the elderly
- GovTrack Social Welfare Page
Browse Federal Bills related to Social Welfare, including those not yet enacted.
Global, non-partisan public policy research videos, reports, briefs, and multimedia material of think tank, university, government, and foundation-funded policy research.
- National Association of Social Workers: Legislative Issues
Current activities of Congress on: child welfare, civil rights, economic equity, education, health, loan forgiveness, and mental health issues.
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
HUD’s mission is to create strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all.
- Northwestern U Social Policy Library Guide
See the websites listed under Education, Health, and Urban Policy tabs
- UW-Madison Social Issues Websites
A great resources for ideas and background information for social issues