Welcome to the Exercise Science Guide.
Audience: CUAA undergraduate EXPH and MAT graduate students
Help Available: Contact a librarian with Ask a Librarian, call 734-995-7454, or stop by the reference desk on-campus.
How to Use: Click a tab to learn more
Nursing and Allied Health research journals, books, conference proceedings and evidence-based care sheets.
The Cochrane Library
Contains three databases. The Database of Systematic Reviews contains full-text articles, as well as protocols focusing on the effects of healthcare. Data is evidence-based medicine and is often combined statistically (with meta-analysis) to increase the power of the findings of numerous studies. The
Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials is a bibliography of controlled trials to create an unbiased source of data for systematic reviews. Cochrane Clinical Answers contains a clinical question, a short answer, and an opportunity to ‘drill down’ to the evidence from relevant Cochrane reviews.
clinical reference tool which provides fast, easy access to the latest filtered evidence-based information. Clinically-organized summaries for thousands of topics
Pubmed companion of biomedical and health journals. Topics: biomedicine, pre-clinical sciences, behavioral sciences, bioengineering, health policy development, nursing, and life sciences. Content Includes full-text journal articles and MeSH (Medical Subject Headings) for current biomedical journals.
FREE access to over 11 million MEDLINE® citations. Mid-1960’s-present.
Articles (Not Filtered)
Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection
Mental Health Medicine
Nursing & Allied Health Database
Reliable healthcare information covering nursing, allied health, alternative and complementary medicine, and much more. Full-text titles plus dissertations in nursing and related fields. Training videos from Medcom, Inc on health care safety, emergency planning, checking vital signs, and many more. Multicultural reports from CultureVision are available for 30 ethnicities and 11 religions for the diagnosis and treatment of patients.
SPORTDiscus with Full Text (4 users at a time)
Covers sports, physical fitness, exercise, sports medicine, sports science, physical education, kinesiology, college & university sport, disabled persons, health, health education, biomechanics, movement science, injury prevention rehabilitation,
physical therapy, allied health, occupational health & therapy, public health, and more.
Search for books and ebooks in Primo.
For General instructions: Finding Books
Library of Congress Call Numbers
|Merck Manual Professional Edition||Website|
|Human Anatomy Online||Website|
|NLM’s MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia||Website|
Use these search techniques to locate Primary Research Articles inside databases.
- Add the following row of keywords to your search: (methods AND results) OR methodology OR “case study” OR “this study” OR “a study”. You will want to copy and paste this entire row of keywords into its own search box (see first example below).
Important! From your list of results, you will still need to examine each article to see if it is primary research.
- Filter by Document Type: on the Advanced Search page choose Case Study or Research under Document Type or Publication Type. In ProQuest databases, it looks like this:
All of these results are generally primary research articles, but not all primary research is a case study, so you will likely be missing some primary research articles on your topic by searching this way.
- In Ebscohost databases, you can choose
“Research” under Publication Type.
4. If you get a lot of results, consider limiting by Special interest or Field as well:
- Acta Physiologica
- Applied Physiology Nutrition And Metabolism
- Archives Of Physical Medicine And Rehabilitation
- Clinical Exercise Physiology
- Dynamic Medicine
- International Journal of Exercise Science
- International Journal of Obesity
- International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism
- Journal of Applied Physiology
- Journal of Exercise Physiology
- Journal of Professional Exercise Physiology
- Journal of Strength And Conditioning Research
- NSCA’s Strength and Conditioning Journal
- South African Journal of Sports Medicine
- Sports Medicine
- American Society of Exercise Physiologists
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American Kinesiology Association
- American Fitness Professionals and Associates
- Association for Applied Sport Psychology
- Clinical Exercise Physiology Association
- National Athletic Trainers Association
- HealthData.gov: US health and medicine data
- National Center for Health Statistics- Fast Stats Alphabetical list of stats on public health issues
- National Center for Health Statistics- Health annual report Datafinder tool and free infographics
- State Health Facts (Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation)
- World Health Organization Data Repository: Health-related statistics from over 100 countries
Online Reference Tools
Research Search Tools
- Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects (DARE)
- HSRProj (Health Services Research Projects in Progress) (NIH)
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
Pico Search Tools
- PEDro (Physiotherapy Evidence Database):
free database of over 19,000 randomised trials, systematic reviews, and clinical practice guidelines in physiotherapy.
- Trip Database – Clinical Search Engine
Clinical search tool for rapidly identifying the highest quality clinical evidence for clinical practice. Registered users (registration is free) benefit from CPD, search history, and collaborative tools.
PubMed PICO Search